Before I go to bed, the last step in my routine is the little dab of perfume.
I think I must have inherited it from my mum: when I was little I always remember my mum putting a little on before bedtime. When I asked her why she told me it made her feel beautiful and feminine.
As long as I can remember I have always found myself to be very receptive to scents. I don’t necessarily mean fragrances, but just scents in general. For me a scent can be really nostalgic, it can relax me, it can be seductive also can be incredibly calming or sedative. On the flip side, a slightly bad smell can instantly make me feel sick or instantly repulsed – for e.g. I’ve looked at blokes before and thought they were good looking, but if they have a dodgy aftershave on or something then that’s an instant turn off!
Therefore, owning a few decent perfumes is essential in my book! (For both sexes!). Also I’m a bit of a hoarder so I always keep old bottles as well and I think the first bottle of “adult” perfume I ever wore, and owned, was an old bottle of my mums.
It was one of her old bottles so there were literally dregs left at the bottom of the bottle but for a child it made me feel very grown up and special. I still have it in my memory box and it’s a bottle of Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent. Because of the funky blue, black and silver packaging and because of how long I’ve had it I always associate with it being a bit 80’s! Particularly as I’m sure my mum had a mental perm going on back then too.
Some of my favourite perfumes nowadays I wear most often are:
1. Firstly is Truth by Calvin Klein which I got first got as a birthday present in my early teens so I kind of associate it with my becoming-a-woman-awkward-teenage-years scent. It’s actually a really sweet and quite a musky smell but it just makes me feel happy and if I’m having a bad day it kind of makes me feel like me again.
2. Secondly is a more recent acquisition which, again, was a birthday present. I can’t find a name for it other than EDP and unfortunately I can’t see it on the website but in the pic it’s the small square perfume with the little diamante sparkly things on it. It’s from Next so it just goes to show you don’t need to spend a fortune to find a good scent. I think the price comes more from the longevity of the fragrance rather than the scent itself? But it’s a lovely girly, flirty scent and I tend to keep it in my handbag in case I need a quick spray!
3. The most recent fragrance I am in love with is the Eau de Toilette by Chloe. Oh. My.God. I am absolutely crazy about this fragrance! It’s not as sweet as the previous two I have mentioned but it’s so so beautiful, really light and delicate and girly and I think it’s really unique as well; it’s not something I have smelt elsewhere at all. Unfortunately I only have a teeny tiny sample which I got as a freebie when I purchased some pieces from Clinique so I’m trying to make it last but it’s really hard when I just want to pour it all over me. Absolute must have and I’m so annoyed my birthday isn’t until November!
4. Another favourite I wear is Daisy by Marc Jacobs . I smelt this for the first time in a magazine and I spent a few minutes discreetly rubbing the magazine on myself trying not to look like a prat. Luckily my magazine rubbing days are over now I have this. The packaging is so cute with its little flower and it’s a really happy, uplifting, feminine, light scent. I wear this most days and would definitely recommend to any lady.
5. This next perfume was a bit of a find. I subscribe to two beauty boxes each month, one of which is Birchbox and I received a sample of this perfume in my first ever box. It’s called No.7 English Landry by Christopher Wick and is exclusive to Birchbox as my bf discovered when buying it for my last birthday a few months ago. Christopher Wick is actually known for his men’s fragrances but has recently done something for the ladies. I am crazy about this scent and it actually does smell like freshly washed laundry. It’s really fresh and what I call a “happy” scent but with someone underline musky tones so it’s not overwhelming sweet. Despite the hefty price tag it’s not quite as long wearing as I would like, compared to some other perfumes I have, but I can forgive that just because the smell is sooo alluring. I like to wear this when it’s miserable outside as a pick me, up or for going out in the evening for with my bf. I will definitely re-buy when it runs out.
Some other perfumes I have which are quite pleasant include the BOSS Orange Woman Eau de Toilette which is a lovely fruity, orangey fragrance with a bit of warmth to it, Ralph Eau de Toilette, which I used to love in my teens and is sweet, floral scent and would be great for girls starting to get into perfume (I still have bottle and a few dregs left), and finally Justin Bieber Girlfriend Eau de Parfum. I got this for Christmas one year and despite the rather teenagey, garish packaging, this has actually proven to be a pleasant surprise and has won me over. I wouldn’t say it was my favourite, but I have certainly worn it on more than one occasion and I even had someone compliment me on my perfume when I was at the cinema once!
So those are some of the perfumes in my collection at the moment, and to be honest I still have many more samples lying around.
I’m always on the lookout for beautiful perfumes so if anyone has any recommendations I would love to know.
Thanks for reading 🙂